TB and AMO...

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Tue Oct 29 17:54:49 UTC 2013

So I spoke to jorgev, and here's what I gather:

First of all, everything is fully on hold for now. There is no active
work in moving AMO over to Marketplace. Yet. But it could start at any
time, really.

The implementation details of AMO merging into Marketplace is that
Marketplace will be modified to accommodate add-ons, and then (I guess)
the data about those add-ons will be brought over.

So apparently, there's some overhead in supporting Thunderbird because:

1) Thunderbird's add-on installation workflow is different: since AMO is
often viewed from within a not-Thunderbird browser, the "+ Add to
Firefox" button needs to behave differently (it starts a download, and
displays instructions on how to install that add-on). That's not free.

2) Supporting versions, blockinglisting for TB, compatibility tools and
review tools for TB are also not free.

To reiterate - the tools for Firefox add-ons are being *rewritten* for
Marketplace, they're not just being copied over. And that's where TB and
SM are falling through the cracks.

I agree with Mark that there's really no reason to panic at this point,
but we might want to investigate if there are things we can do on *our*
end that can make Thunderbird integrate more tightly with the
Marketplace and the built-in tools that they *are* planning on building.

-Mike