desktop e-mail UI using gaia e-mail libs (was: TB and AMO...)

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Mon Oct 28 02:28:12 UTC 2013

On 10/27/2013 08:58 AM, ace wrote:
> I still do not understand the point of this effort.

As you surmised, it's a personal/hobby project for me.  I'm discussing
it at length here because Tanstaafl seemed interested and a lot of
Mozillians hack on interesting stuff that for whatever reason isn't
widely known and frequently would benefit from more people being aware
of it.  (Also, I'm lazy and if I can get other people to help me do less
work, that works out well for me :)

> So making any new email client FOR
> DESKTOP under Mozilla support does not look perspective to me.

"Mozilla support" can mean a lot of things, so I'll unpack this. There's
no Mozilla Corporation support for this effort; any time I spend on it
will be my own.  From speaking with people, I think there is interest in
the Mozilla Project and greater community for a more desktop-oriented
version of the Gaia e-mail app, so I would not be surprised if other
people hack on it too.

The Mozilla Corporation/Foundation does potentially provide resources to
all Mozillians.  This can range from providing exposure for experiments
on the Mozilla Labs list of projects at
https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/projects/ up through providing manpower
for potential new products (https://mozillalabs.com/en-US/hatchery/).  I
don't plan to go the Hatchery path with mysteriousmail, but if there's a
way to get Sean Martell or other graphic designers to make me a cool
icon/logo, I will beg/plead as appropriate! :)

Andrew