TB and AMO...

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Oct 26 11:14:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-25 5:03 PM, Andrew Sutherland <asutherland at asutherland.org>
wrote:
> Mozilla is still very much about user agency and locally run code that
> you can audit.  I work on the Gaia e-mail client for Firefox OS and I am
> personally extremely interested in using the same code-base to create a
> desktop e-mail client.  I hope to get some type of initial alpha out
> before the new year.  Things have been too hectic until recently (and
> the e-mail back-end not complete enough), but things are now at a point
> that I think I can make forward progress and retain my sanity :)

I for one am extremely happy to hear this!

I think one of Thunderbirds weakest points is the legacy codebase that
just contains too much baggage. It seems like every one of the most
significant bugs or feature-lack is due to this baggage (just too much
work to fix properly for the resources that are available).

> The Gaia e-mail client is a packaged app and runs locally on the
> device.  Its server dependencies are limited to consulting the
> Thunderbird ISP database and necessary communication with IMAP and SMTP
> (or ActiveSync) mail servers.  Soon it will also support POP3, although
> I would generally advise people to stick to IMAP and to host their own
> IMAP server instead of going with POP3.

I would be absolutely fine if it was an IMAP only client, but I guess
that basic POP support wouldn't be all that hard to do.

I'm curious if you have written anything up on what you are planning? UI
mockups, or even just musings or ramblings would be perfectly fine.

In fact, I'd like to see some kind of forum space where details can be
discussed (planned features, etc)...

Anyway, I'm really excited to see what you come up with. Leveraging the
Gaia codebase as much as possible - since apparently it will be well
supported by Mozilla in the foreseeable future - would be a really good
thing.

Thanks Andrew!