TB and AMO...

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Fri Oct 25 21:03:50 UTC 2013

On 10/25/2013 03:14 PM, John wrote:
> This should not come as a surprise to any of us. With the push by
> Google et al toward cloud services for everything and the resulting
> death of the desktop PC there is not really much of a market for a
> desktop mail program.
> Mozilla's development of an operating system based upon Firefox(?), is
> itself an indication that they (or their "sponsors") believe that way
> to go is toward a completely mobile cloud based environment.

Mozilla is still very much about user agency and locally run code that
you can audit.  I work on the Gaia e-mail client for Firefox OS and I am
personally extremely interested in using the same code-base to create a
desktop e-mail client.  I hope to get some type of initial alpha out
before the new year.  Things have been too hectic until recently (and
the e-mail back-end not complete enough), but things are now at a point
that I think I can make forward progress and retain my sanity :)

The Gaia e-mail client is a packaged app and runs locally on the
device.  Its server dependencies are limited to consulting the
Thunderbird ISP database and necessary communication with IMAP and SMTP
(or ActiveSync) mail servers.  Soon it will also support POP3, although
I would generally advise people to stick to IMAP and to host their own
IMAP server instead of going with POP3.

Andrew