TB and AMO...

Axel Grude (Axel) axel.grude at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 20:00:49 UTC 2013


> Personally I find this pretty unacceptable. 
ditto!
> I understand that Mozilla is not developing Thunderbird anymore, but changes like 
> this are NOT in the best interest of their users (and Thunderbird users are still 
> Mozilla users!) and frankly it tarnishes the Mozilla brand.  I think we should hold 
> a pretty hard line on this and tell them we find it unacceptable.
Does this also mean that the biggest of my 7 Addons will be removed from AMO 
(QuickFolders, quickFilters, SmartTemplate4) ? If there is no support for Thunderbird 
/ SeaMonkey  I would also not be interested in working as AMO editor anymore....
> If that doesn't help then escalate to their managers.  Unfortunately this might 
> force Mozilla to actually decide how (un)important they consider Thunderbird and 
> tell us that we're outta luck.  Dropping support for TB/SM in AMO is certainly not 
> "promoting the open web".
How many 100s of (Mail only) Addons would that drop? With fulltime development on Tb 
being halted, IMHO Addons are more important to the community of our users than ever.

Axel


*Axel (:RealRaven)*
Software Developer
Thunderbird Add-ons Developer (QuickFolders, quickFilters, QuickPasswords, Zombie 
Keys, SmartTemplate4)
AMO Editor


On 25/10/2013 18:16, Patrick Cloke wrote:
> Personally I find this pretty unacceptable.  I understand that Mozilla is not 
> developing Thunderbird anymore, but changes like this are NOT in the best interest 
> of their users (and Thunderbird users are still Mozilla users!) and frankly it 
> tarnishes the Mozilla brand.  I think we should hold a pretty hard line on this and 
> tell them we find it unacceptable.  If that doesn't help then escalate to their 
> managers.  Unfortunately this might force Mozilla to actually decide how 
> (un)important they consider Thunderbird and tell us that we're outta luck.  Dropping 
> support for TB/SM in AMO is certainly not "promoting the open web".
>
> My two cents, at least,
> Patrick
>
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Mike Conley <mconley at mozilla.com 
> <mailto:mconley at mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey tb-planning,
>
>     I had a somewhat disturbing exchange with RattyAway today in #maildev:
>
>     https://pastebin.mozilla.org/3333290
>
>     here's a link to the chat that RattyAway talks about:
>
>     https://pastebin.mozilla.org/3333206
>
>     So, what are we seeing here?
>
>     I find it unsurprising that AMO and Marketplace are going to merge. I find it
>     much more surprising that Thunderbird and SeaMonkey add-ons (sound like they)
>     are not going to be included in that transition. If my interpretation of that is
>     correct, that's a pretty serious hit to TB and SM users and our add-on
>     development community.
>
>     What do we do?
>
>     -Mike
>     _______________________________________________
>     tb-planning mailing list
>     tb-planning at mozilla.org <mailto:tb-planning at mozilla.org>
>     https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> tb-planning mailing list
> tb-planning at mozilla.org
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-planning

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/attachments/20131025/3ea9bd5d/attachment.html>


More information about the tb-planning mailing list