Donation link: next step

Wayne Mery (Thunderbird QA) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Nov 28 16:58:17 UTC 2013

On 11/28/2013 8:05 AM, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
> On 28/11/13 05:48, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> Dave Koelmeyer wrote, On 27.11.2013 15:30:
>>> [there's no] way to deliver a pop-up notification to solicit
>>> donations in any way that is tasteful and non-intrusive. ... If you
>>> want to lose enterprise users, then putting a pop-up in their face is
>>> one sure-fire way to do it.
>>
>> Agreed. The proposal wasn't a popup, but a button on the home screen,
>> or an additional tab. It's not something you have to click away, just
>> something that sits there and occupies screen real estate and
>> eyeballs. For some, even that might be too much. How would you feel
>> about that, in an enterprise context?
>
> No differently really. I would still hope that other methods of
> soliciting donations outside of the app would be explored first. I am
> not doing any of the heavy lifting in terms of coding, so this is purely
> my opinion mixed with experience of having to deploy and support
> software in a very large enterprise environment.
>
>>> On that note it's clear that the social media channels for
>>> Thunderbird continue to be massively underexploited in this regard. I
>>> can appreciate the reasons for these languishing, but followers for
>>> example on TB's Facebook page continue to climb (not fall) even in
>>> the absence of any real activity. Putting out the occasional call for
>>> donations here (amongst fresh news articles and tips etc.) is just a
>>> no-brainer. It's now been a month since any new activity was posted
>>> to FB (and close to a full year before that) - so I'd like to see
>>> what can be done here before introducing donation links into the app.
>>
>> That's a great idea!
>>
>> And, post some news there, showing activity.
>>

> Great - I'm glad to hear your support here. I have contacted Mark Banner
> to see if I can be granted permission to help manage the Thunderbird
> social networks channels, initially just posting fresh news, clearing up
> spam and directing folks to the support forums.
>
> Really flattering articles such as
> http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/79344.html continue to be missed on
> the social networks which is just a huge shame. For example, Apple
> stuffing up Gmail support in Mavericks Mail.app was a marketing angle
> straight from heaven to be exploited by Mozilla, but there was no
> offical mention of this on Facebook /et al/.
>
> Quite frankly, I'm champing at the bit to help kickstart things here.

No time like the present for anyone to step up their involvement -
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird#Contributing

Sadly, publicity and marketing is missing from that list, which as you
imply we don't do well.  It's down under "Other" with
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Marketing ... which is incomplete
and what was drafted afaik hasn't made progress.

One of the failings of TB marketing IMO is we don't involve the user
community enough.  And Thunderbird's continuation requires community
involvement now more than ever, as other threads have pointed out.
Firefox* with its hundreds of employees can afford to not be so
agressive in asking for community involvement in its UI.  We can't
survive with that model.  (Plus Firefox* get their message out very
effectively in other forms of mass marketting - we don't have that
either.)  End of story.

Time for a group of people to hammer on these things, no?

>>> I see rather a few recent articles of large migrations to open source
>>> productivity suites specifically mention Thunderbird (e.g.
>>> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/french-interior-ministry-open-source-5-10-times-cheaper).
>>> Given that these organisations have spent so much effort switching,
>>> and claim to have saved thousands in the process, then surely it
>>> would be worth reaching out to them to see what financial or other
>>> contributions they can make back to Thunderbird to keep the project
>>> alive and open - and therefore continue to future proof their
>>> investment in moving off proprietary systems.
>>
>> That's a tough sell. Esp. given that they move away to save money,
>> they're not happy to spend it. Once it works and is accepted in the
>> enterprise, the willingness to spend money goes to near zero. The only
>> moment to pitch them is *before* they roll out, when they make their
>> financial planning and schedule for the entire migration.
>
> Tough perhaps, but I don't see this as insurmountable and it's surely
> worth an enquiry.

Indeed. In fact, why do we insist on the hit or miss approach of
guessing what might work?  We should just go and ask some of them what
would motivate them.

I started writing before I read all of these posts, and found myself
repeating - so I'll just say we need to set a direction and execute.
What's a thousand bucks to one of these big organizations compared to
the cost of running some paid software? It's a way for them to give back
- because it's not as if entrprises are showing up with developers to
help - even though we ask.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Enterprise for example has a link
to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird#Contributing