Donation link: next step

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Thu Nov 28 13:05:03 UTC 2013

On 28/11/13 05:48, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Dave Koelmeyer wrote, On 27.11.2013 15:30:
>> [there's no] way to deliver a pop-up notification to solicit
>> donations in any way that is tasteful and non-intrusive. ... If you
>> want to lose enterprise users, then putting a pop-up in their face is
>> one sure-fire way to do it.
>
> Agreed. The proposal wasn't a popup, but a button on the home screen,
> or an additional tab. It's not something you have to click away, just
> something that sits there and occupies screen real estate and
> eyeballs. For some, even that might be too much. How would you feel
> about that, in an enterprise context?

No differently really. I would still hope that other methods of
soliciting donations outside of the app would be explored first. I am
not doing any of the heavy lifting in terms of coding, so this is purely
my opinion mixed with experience of having to deploy and support
software in a very large enterprise environment.

>> On that note it's clear that the social media channels for
>> Thunderbird continue to be massively underexploited in this regard. I
>> can appreciate the reasons for these languishing, but followers for
>> example on TB's Facebook page continue to climb (not fall) even in
>> the absence of any real activity. Putting out the occasional call for
>> donations here (amongst fresh news articles and tips etc.) is just a
>> no-brainer. It's now been a month since any new activity was posted
>> to FB (and close to a full year before that) - so I'd like to see
>> what can be done here before introducing donation links into the app.
>
> That's a great idea!
>
> And, post some news there, showing activity.

Great - I'm glad to hear your support here. I have contacted Mark Banner
to see if I can be granted permission to help manage the Thunderbird
social networks channels, initially just posting fresh news, clearing up
spam and directing folks to the support forums.

Really flattering articles such as
http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/79344.html continue to be missed on
the social networks which is just a huge shame. For example, Apple
stuffing up Gmail support in Mavericks Mail.app was a marketing angle
straight from heaven to be exploited by Mozilla, but there was no
offical mention of this on Facebook /et al/.

Quite frankly, I'm champing at the bit to help kickstart things here.

>> I see rather a few recent articles of large migrations to open source
>> productivity suites specifically mention Thunderbird (e.g.
>> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/french-interior-ministry-open-source-5-10-times-cheaper).
>> Given that these organisations have spent so much effort switching,
>> and claim to have saved thousands in the process, then surely it
>> would be worth reaching out to them to see what financial or other
>> contributions they can make back to Thunderbird to keep the project
>> alive and open - and therefore continue to future proof their
>> investment in moving off proprietary systems.
>
> That's a tough sell. Esp. given that they move away to save money,
> they're not happy to spend it. Once it works and is accepted in the
> enterprise, the willingness to spend money goes to near zero. The only
> moment to pitch them is *before* they roll out, when they make their
> financial planning and schedule for the entire migration.

Tough perhaps, but I don't see this as insurmountable and it's surely
worth an enquiry.

>> Also, (and this is total pie in the sky), would it not be worth
>> considering a potential arrangement with The Document Foundation? ...
>> LibreOffice
>
> Yes. In fact, if (!) we were to separate from Mozilla, this would be
> the best way to go: Either use the "The Document Foundation" legal
> entity, or make a new one copying their structure. The latter is
> easily done, and I could assist with it and make the contacts. In
> fact, I know the very lawyer who set "The Document Foundation" up. I'm
> sure he'd help us, too.
>
> I'm not saying we should do that. I'm just saying it's one option.

Yes, ditto :)

Cheers,
Dave