A new address book: help wanted

neandr at gmx.de neandr at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 16:46:18 UTC 2013

Today I found myself beamed years back to the time I started to use Tb
and it's Addressbook.
One of my customer came along with problems using Lists in an AB. I
found he was using the TB/AB List  with Contacts without a mail address.

Why is this a subject for this thread?

First and YES, I know contacts added to TB/AB List *needs* a mail
address! But adding such a contact will "corrupt" the List! No further
addition of contacts possible!

Second. The "normal" user expects an Addressbook *NOT* only to use it
with the mailing system. He/she expect to have a system which handles
all his/her contacts for the day-to-day use. And YES, using it for the
mail system is one requirement -- but today more then ever -- for all
the contact related work, on a PC, on a mobile device, on .. etc -- with
and without mail addresses. One application for *all* his need!

A redesign/rework of TB/AB which meets that goal can be also a great
chance to make Thunderbird a better choice. I hope the project has this
in mind.

Günter
Mozilla/Netscape/Thunderbird fan / user since decade(s)
Extension developer