Donation link: next step

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Nov 27 16:48:29 UTC 2013

Dave Koelmeyer wrote, On 27.11.2013 15:30:
> [there's no] way to deliver a pop-up notification to solicit donations
> in any way that is tasteful and non-intrusive. ... If you want to lose
> enterprise users, then putting a pop-up in their face is one sure-fire
> way to do it.

Agreed. The proposal wasn't a popup, but a button on the home screen, or
an additional tab. It's not something you have to click away, just
something that sits there and occupies screen real estate and eyeballs.
For some, even that might be too much. How would you feel about that, in
an enterprise context?

> On that note it's clear that the social media channels for Thunderbird
> continue to be massively underexploited in this regard. I can
> appreciate the reasons for these languishing, but followers for
> example on TB's Facebook page continue to climb (not fall) even in the
> absence of any real activity. Putting out the occasional call for
> donations here (amongst fresh news articles and tips etc.) is just a
> no-brainer. It's now been a month since any new activity was posted to
> FB (and close to a full year before that) - so I'd like to see what
> can be done here before introducing donation links into the app.

That's a great idea!

And, post some news there, showing activity.

> I see rather a few recent articles of large migrations to open source
> productivity suites specifically mention Thunderbird (e.g.
> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/french-interior-ministry-open-source-5-10-times-cheaper).
> Given that these organisations have spent so much effort switching,
> and claim to have saved thousands in the process, then surely it would
> be worth reaching out to them to see what financial or other
> contributions they can make back to Thunderbird to keep the project
> alive and open - and therefore continue to future proof their
> investment in moving off proprietary systems.

That's a tough sell. Esp. given that they move away to save money,
they're not happy to spend it. Once it works and is accepted in the
enterprise, the willingness to spend money goes to near zero. The only
moment to pitch them is *before* they roll out, when they make their
financial planning and schedule for the entire migration.

> Also, (and this is total pie in the sky), would it not be worth
> considering a potential arrangement with The Document Foundation? ...
> LibreOffice

Yes. In fact, if (!) we were to separate from Mozilla, this would be the
best way to go: Either use the "The Document Foundation" legal entity,
or make a new one copying their structure. The latter is easily done,
and I could assist with it and make the contacts. In fact, I know the
very lawyer who set "The Document Foundation" up. I'm sure he'd help us,
too.

I'm not saying we should do that. I'm just saying it's one option.