Statistics

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Nov 26 22:00:58 UTC 2013

Robert Kaiser wrote, On 26.11.2013 15:07:
> All we have is data from the "Add-on Blocklist Ping", i.e. the daily
> request that Thunderbird sends for an updated blocklist. This does not
> have any user identifier or anything (after all, this is a Mozilla
> project and therefore cannot do privacy-invading stuff like this "just
> because we want good data"), so it's impossible to get weekly or
> monthly information out of it.

Just FTR, you can get monthly user numbers without tracking individual
users. There are several ways, but the client needs to have the code for
that.
1) Just make another call that happens once per month, not once per day
(exact same system, just longer interval). I use that in another project.
2) https://wiki.mozilla.org/MetricsDataPing#Anonymous_alternative

I understand we have neither of that. But I think it's important to know
how many semi-regular (i.e. active, but not daily) users we have. (And I
concur with you that privacy is paramount, too.)