Donation link: next step

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Nov 25 20:14:16 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 11:35 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> I think TB needs an independent organizational structure, formal
> decision making body
Do I take this as support for what I have called the Thunderbird Council?
> , and a separate bank account and spending powers.
I have no reason to encourage Thunderbird to separate from Mozilla
financials structures. This kind of thing is a pain to run yourself.
Presumably Mozilla has some sort of requisition system and defined
accounts to manage expenditures, with specific authority to spend from
those accounts. I'm confident that if accountability was setup that met
Mozilla standards, Mozilla expenditure controls would suffice.

Just for the record, I have no reason to suspect that Mozilla is hiding
something here, I just think it is a weakness in their definition of
"open" and "volunteer led" that makes it more difficult for Thunderbird
to succeed. My current estimates of Thunderbird financials, guessed from
scant information, is that Mozilla receives $10,000 per year in income
for Thunderbird, and spends about $250,000 per year in staff and
infrastructure support. We have every reason to be grateful for the
support that Mozilla continues to give to Thunderbird, in spite of their
misgivings about its strategic role to their mission.

Thank you, Mozilla!

:rkent