Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Irving Reid irving at mozilla.com
Fri Nov 22 16:40:53 UTC 2013

I'm concerned about any plan that lets users put $$ on specific bugs.
Our biggest hindrance isn't so much money as it is availability of
people with both time and expertise to fix even the most pressing issues
in our backlog. Per-bug money might attract some time & expertise, but
I'd be surprised if it's enough to be sustainable, and it's likely to
come with unrealistic expectations.

We already have problems with people getting angry about their
particular issue not being addressed. Adding "I put $50 on that bug!" to
the existing "Why do you idiots have 10-year-old bugs?" comments isn't
going to be very attractive to new contributing developers (let alone
the negative emotions it may inspire in existing devs)...

I suppose we could annotate bugs with a ball-park cost of fixing, to
give people an idea of how much they would need to pledge to attract
attention, but there's still a lot of ways I could see this making it
even harder for us to manage expectations around bug prioritization and
fixing.

  - irving -