Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Nov 21 20:18:04 UTC 2013

Kent James wrote, On 21.11.2013 21:05:
> On 11/21/2013 11:52 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> I think something along the lines of Kickstarter where 1 dollar buys
>> you 1 vote could work well. You donate 10 dollars, and you have 10
>> votes to spend on one or several bugs. You must donate now, though,
>> and there's no guarantee that you'll get your feature, you donate to
>> the project and the voting is just a way to steer in the right
>> direction. The features with the most votes/work-effort get picked
>> and the funds are used for them.
> I'd love to hear more ideas on how that might work, but what you are
> proposing is generally what I had in mind.

Great!

> But let me be the naysayer here for awhile. The devil is in the "funds
> are used for them" problem. There are many, many people who contribute
> to a solution of a problem beyond the developer who writes the code,
> including the original support contacts who raise the issue, the bug
> triagers who help prioritize and clarify, and the reviewers who check
> and improve the code. Then there is the management team that put the
> whole thing together, and watches over to make sure it is fair and
> reasonable. It bothers me to single out one role (the coder) for
> compensation while ignoring the others. I don't have a solution to
> these issues when the overall funds available are less than would be
> the fair compensation of everyone involved.

Well, that's covered with the "goes to the project". Not 100% would go
into features. If we determine that we need servers, we'll buy them from
the donations. If we determine we need Mark Banner to steer us, we could
pay him from it (I don't think we can affort him, though :( ). From the
remaining funds, we can hire developers. And these developers then pick
the work items based on clear and those that have the "highest votes per
hour of work required" ratio. But where we have a choice, it should be
steered by direct user wish.

We *can* hire freelance developers for feature A or B, but I think a
selected number of permanent developers on salary would work better.

It's basically a government structure, and incentive to donate.

Ben