Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Nov 21 20:05:52 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 11:52 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> I think something along the lines of Kickstarter where 1 dollar buys
> you 1 vote could work well. You donate 10 dollars, and you have 10
> votes to spend on one or several bugs. You must donate now, though,
> and there's no guarantee that you'll get your feature, you donate to
> the project and the voting is just a way to steer in the right
> direction. The features with the most votes/work-effort get picked and
> the funds are used for them.
I'd love to hear more ideas on how that might work, but what you are
proposing is generally what I had in mind.

But let me be the naysayer here for awhile. The devil is in the "funds
are used for them" problem. There are many, many people who contribute
to a solution of a problem beyond the developer who writes the code,
including the original support contacts who raise the issue, the bug
triagers who help prioritize and clarify, and the reviewers who check
and improve the code. Then there is the management team that put the
whole thing together, and watches over to make sure it is fair and
reasonable. It bothers me to single out one role (the coder) for
compensation while ignoring the others. I don't have a solution to these
issues when the overall funds available are less than would be the fair
compensation of everyone involved.

:rkent