Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Nov 21 17:24:53 UTC 2013

Gervase Markham wrote, On 21.11.2013 12:12:
> On 21/11/13 10:43, Kent James wrote:
>> One of the thoughts that I have had is to allow donors to dedicate their
>> donation to a particular bug.
> Before the Thunderbird team decides to do anything that looks like
> directed donations or bounties, you would be well advised to acquaint
> yourselves with the long and unhappy history of efforts to do this (both
> project-specific and generic) in the free software community. It's a
> really dense minefield, and the chances of getting blown up are high.

I second that.

I've been burned personally. People had a rally on a bugzilla bug for a
feature. 2 companies pledged on it, and a few private pocket money
donors (which didn't make a dent on anything). Believing in the concept,
like rkent does, I took the offer, and I spent a lot of time for little
money to implement the feature. The project was a lot more time-intense
than expected, I purred a ton of time into it, and finally IIRC at least
one company didn't pay. It was a bad deal for everybody involved.

Bug bounties simply don't work unless you have a one single, concrete
company that pays everything and your "go-to" for approval and payment.

> This objection does not apply, of course, to donations intended for a
> general fund, where the TB team has discretion on what to use them for.

Agreed. IMHO, that's the only way.

Ben