Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Nov 21 10:43:59 UTC 2013

On 11/19/2013 7:21 AM, Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> What about having bounties for particular tickets, too?  I get
> disheartened when every now and then I get a bugzilla email, only to
> find that it's just someone else signing up to be notified of ticket
> status....  Maybe one could do a kickstarter sort of thing where you
> sign up for a bounty, but only pay if enough co-sponsors join in so that
> a useful amount of money is raised.
One of the thoughts that I have had is to allow donors to dedicate their
donation to a particular bug. That would both give some additional
incentive to the donation, as well as allow a mechanism to give some
compensation to contributors. I also think that if you look at votes on
Bugzilla, most of those are pointed to new features and not bugs. I
think you would find the same thing as well with a bug bounty program.

But starting down the road of rewarding some contributors, while there
are insufficient funds to reward all worthy contributors, is fraught
with peril. It is easy to destroy a community through actions that could
easily be viewed as unfair. Making such a process actually fair is
really hard.

:rkent