Donation link: next step

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Nov 20 17:57:14 UTC 2013

In an effort to keep moving this forward to resolution, let me summarize
what I think has been said, and what the next steps are.

I have not heard any objections to the proposal for a donation link,
most posts agree and then proceed to question or propose details. Those
details include questions of 1) how money would be spent and managed,
and 2) how the donation would be structured.

The decision to setup an in-product donation link, along with the
necessary governance structures to manage those funds and policies, is a
significant direction for the project. That decision needs to be made in
stages by the various governance bodies that we are subject to
currently. Per our discussions last year, the first level of governance
is the module system. Although it has never been stated formally, I'm
going to proceed as if the first-level governing body for the
Thunderbird project, as it now stands, consists of the module owners and
peers of the mail and mailnews areas. Those are listed here
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/MailNews_Core and here
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird.  Let me call this group
the "Thunderbird Council" for now. There are some important people left
off of those lists who should have a voice, but that is a separate issue
that I hope we address as part of this whole process. We probably need a
module that specifically deals with project oversight, but we have to
move with what we have for now.

The next step then is for me to prepare a document outlining the
proposal, ask for specific comments and revisions on that document, and
then try to get a formal consensus from the Thunderbird Council agreeing
with the proposal. After that, the next step would be negotiations with
the powers-that-be at Mozilla to get agreement about the concept and
implementation details.

As an additional note, some people may have the impression that my
initial post was an attempt to separate Thunderbird from Mozilla. That
is not the case. However, I think that there are some unhealthy patterns
in the current Mozilla/Thunderbird relationship that I would  like us to
address, and this is part of that effort. It's time for us improve our
capability to act independently and responsibly, but that does not mean
that we need to leave the Mozilla family to do that. For the record, I
have every expectation that Thunderbird will continue as an open-source
project under the Mozilla umbrella for the foreseeable future.

I've also hinted in the past that there is a role for a separate entity
that would be distinctly commercial in nature, but that would be
cooperative with the Thunderbird open-source product.  I have discussed
this under the codename SwanFox. This current donation link effort is
not related to nor for the benefit of SwanFox, it is for the benefit of
the open-source Thunderbird project.

:rkent