TB and AMO...

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Nov 20 17:11:59 UTC 2013

Ben, there was a conference meeting about a week ago with the
Marketplace & AMO team (such as it is) and various people involved in
the Mozilla mailnews community. The overall result of that meeting was
that there are no active plans to eliminate Thunderbird or SeaMonkey
from AMO, and that the Marketplace team was willing to consider the
needs of these other applications. There was a distinct sense that the
team did not understand why there was suddenly such a furor of concerns,
and any such concerns were quite premature and unwarranted.

I don't have any reason to doubt this in the short term, so I think it
best if we drop this issue for now.

For the long term, my general concern for Thunderbird is that, as time
goes on, we may find more and more individual teams in Mozilla that
question whether it is worth their effort to continue Thunderbird
(and/or SeaMonkey) support when they have other pressing concerns. Their
idea of a reasonable timescale for Thunderbird to adapt may not agree
with our estimates. So we really need to improve our ability to respond,
which involves strengthening our finances, governance, and community.

:rkent