Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Axel Grude (Axel) axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 21:25:34 UTC 2013

Hi Onno,

(my mails still go through moderation so I am cc'ing everybody on the thread for
speed, hope this is ok)

I think both had a good ingredient but lacking another

1 - Geary probably had some good community support. But donations were not mandatory
(or it didn't succeed in persuading enough users to donate)
2 - Postbox made the money part mandatory, but doesn't have a great community or even
product support. Their model is "we do not invest anything in the community or support
- just use the forum if you need it". Plus they kind of stopped development and
stopped talking to Addon authors about a year ago; which makes it feel like a dead
project.

I think Thunderbird  has both critical mass enough to get more donations and still
more momentum than Postbox. The art is to persuade users that there will be innovation
following the investment. I think we definitely definetly need some marketing people
to help us out here!

Axel
--
*Axel <mailto:axel.grude at gmail.com>*