Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 18:02:47 UTC 2013

On 11/19/2013 10:29 AM, Vincent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would also be happy to donate and I think that many users would be
> too. In fact, I believe that Thunderbird will just slowly disappear
> without income that would allow important developments (make maildir
> the default, new address book, compose in a tab,...).
>
> We should also keep in mind the Geary experience (and why they fails)
> <http://blog.yorba.org/jim/2013/05/geary-crowdfunding-what-went-wrong.html>.
> I think Thunderbird can success where Geary fails, because it is a lot
> more famous that Geary.

I hadn't heard of Geary, but I've heard of Postbox which isn't a big
succes and I've heard of Pegasus, which has been my favorite email
client for a long time (when my email was still stored on a Novell
Netware server), but which also had problems raising enough funds even
for one developer. (Pegasus tried it by selling manuals, if i remember
correctly).

Only when you can make the donations repeating/annual I think you may
have a way to raise a substantial amount of money. But it should be
crystal clear to the contributors what happens with their money...

Onno