Proposal for donation link in Thunderbird 31

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Nov 18 22:29:15 UTC 2013

There are of course many issues that would need to be dealt with to make
this work, and management of the funds is certainly one of them. But I
think that the main point of this thread should be "do you support using
an in-app donation link as a mechanism to raise income for Thunderbird,
assuming that we can setup adequate mechanisms to manage those funds".
That is, I would like people to agree simply that 1) they believe
raising income is important, and 2) doing so through an in-app donation
link is an acceptable method to do so.

But concerning accountability, a year ago I tried to propose a
management council for Thunderbird. I would propose the same thing
again. Actually part of my motivation for raising the donation issue is
that I think that the Thunderbird community needs to develop capacity
for self-management, which is sorely lacking at the moment. During the
council discussions last year, the official position seemed to be that
the existing management structure, using the module owners group as the
de facto management team, was working well. Although it is possible to
use the module system to organize that management team, I don't think
that has been done effectively in the past. Having donations income will
force us to deal with the issue, as you point out. I would certainly
strongly oppose having the donation income buried within the existing
Thunderbird accounts which have been publicly opaque.

:rkent