TB and AMO...

Wil Clouser wclouser at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 4 20:07:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 10:01:40AM -0800, Wil Clouser wrote:
> It was requested I reply to this thread so I'll paste in a private response I
> wrote earlier.  The summary is what has already been said here - don't panic,
> we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
>
> My other email:
>
> > There hasn't been an official discontinuing of either TB or Seamonkey add-ons
> > on AMO, however, every application we support has a cost and some applications
> > can't be justified.  We disabled Sunbird in 2010 because it wasn't worth the
> > maintenance cost.
>
> > We reviewed our project stats again in 2012 and for the month of March 2012 we
> > averaged 1.2MM visits per day from Firefox UAs, and 6k per day from Seamonkey
> > UAs.  When you're looking at where to put resources, it's a pretty clear
> > decision.  I expect those numbers are even further apart today.
>
> > As it stands today, there are no FTE resources working on AMO so it's just in
> > a holding pattern.  When work picks up on it again, we'll start making
> > decisions on applications to support.

Also, for the record, Thunderbird traffic was around 55k visits per day during
that month.  Obviously we'd need to redo the numbers today as well as account
for people downloading through their browser.  Once we pick up work on AMO again
we'll have a better idea of what we should be doing.

Cheers,

Wil