Squeaky / Add-on File Registration PRD

Eric Moore emoore at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 1 22:25:50 UTC 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Add-on File Registration PRD
Date: 	Fri, 1 Nov 2013 08:45:47 -0700
From: 	Dave Townsend <dtownsend at mozilla.com>
To: 	Eric Moore <erm4gh at gmail.com>
CC: 	dev-planning at lists.mozilla.org

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Eric Moore <erm4gh at gmail.com
<mailto:erm4gh at gmail.com>> wrote:

     On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:55:21 PM UTC-4, jorgev wrote:
      > Cross posting to dev.planning, where I originally intended this
     to be.

     The proposal describes it as something that would be implemented in
     Firefox. My concern is what impact this might have on Thunderbird.

     1) Would this only be implemented in Firefox or might it actually be
     implemented in Gecko or some other shared library that forces the
     Thunderbird developers to support this proposal unless they want to
     fork and maintain their own version of that component?

Due to the nature of the code this will certainly be implemented
predominantly in toolkit but it will be done so in a way that allows
applications to opt-in to it similar to other things that we have added
in the past like the sideloading opt-in screen and hotfix support.

     2) The "series of automatic malware checks" might block some
     Thunderbird add-ons because whoever designed the malware checks is
     focused strictly on Firefox.

I don't know the specifics of the checks but I believe it is more about
checking for the existance of actual binary malware that the add-on
might try to execute. This would apply equally to Thunderbird add-ons as
well as Firefox add-ons. Regardless I'm sure the AMO team will be open
to make changes if this became a problem.