The DarkMail Alliance

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 1 09:43:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013, at 08:33 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 31/10/13 23:18, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > From my reading, they are more interested in replacing SMTP than replacing IMAP/POP.
> >
> > I'm not sure how much it even intersects with what Thunderbird does.
>
> Thunderbird sends mail using SMTP, does it not?

Thunderbird sends mail using SMTP-for-submission, for which encryption is
much more reliable than server-to-server.

> I mean, perhaps they are only interested in replacing server-to-server
> SMTP, I don't know. Details are sketchy. I just think it's something we
> should keep an eye on.

Definitely.  I'm keeping an eye on it from FastMail as well - definitely
interesting.

> Mozilla has had a couple of gos at fixing email, and we've not really
> succeeded. Perhaps the right thing is to back someone else's attempt.

We've also been talking to some people at Mozilla about the JSON API that
we wrote at FastMail for our web interface, and making it more general.
We've been tidying up the spec ready for general publishing, hopefully
I can send something through here next week.

It's purely about client<->server comms, and designed largely to minimise
roundtrips and also to avoid re-fetching of known data (i.e. if another
client has moved messages or renamed folders)

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm