Tabbed Composition - implementation questions

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Tue Mar 12 13:37:58 UTC 2013

Hey Liam,

This is great news! We've wanted tabbed composition for some time, and
I'm glad to hear somebody is hacking on it!

>> As discussed on BugZilla

Bug #?

>  So how are they implemented? How can I
>> iterate over open compose tabs etc.?

You've already identified where most of our tab types are defined:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/base/content/mailTabs.js

There are more examples here:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/base/content/specialTabs.js

The tabmail binding that we use is pretty complex - but it's also
reasonably documented.

I would give this a thorough read:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/base/content/tabmail.xml#18

I can also do my best to answer specific questions about tabs - either
send me mail, or find me in IRC (mconley in #maildev).

> After this, I have to finish porting OpenComposeWindow

This is an excellent opportunity for you examine our implementation of
compose windows and finding out where we can optimize, and where we can
clean up. Almost certainly there are things we do with the current
compose code that is no longer necessary, flat-out confusing, or just
generally suboptimal. This makes maintenance a heavy burden. Keep an eye
out for those - this is an excellent opportunity to clean some of those
things up. I encourage aggressive refactoring.

Josiah Bruner has been doing some excellent work coming up with ways of
cleaning up our UI[1]. At some point, perhaps yourself, Josiah, and a
few other UI-involved folks should sit down and hash out what a new
compose tab would look like.

Anyhow, I'm thoroughly excited. Please send me the bug number you're
working in so I can monitor your progress.

Thanks,

-Mike

[1]: http://infinite-josiah.blogspot.ca/2013/02/thunderbird-ui-concept.html