The gaia e-mail backend is now using Thunderbird's IMAP and SMTP fake-servers. Props to jcranmer!

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Jul 25 01:57:42 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 09:05 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> Do you envision adding features to fakeserver? I'm guessing that many
> of them would be desired by the mailnews testing code as well. If so,
> then it is probably worth discussing an easy to share the fakeserver
> modules (and maybe eventually other code too) between Gaia and
> Thunderbird.

Sure, as we consume new IMAP extensions or feature permutations we
absolutely need/want test coverage provided by the IMAP fake-server.  So
far this has just been extending the SEARCH functionality a little.
Future enhancements would likely entail some additional
CONDSTORE/QRESYNC, server-side message search, conversation-aware stuff
(gmail and fastmail/Cyrus's XCONVERSATIONS extension), perhaps some type
of SIEVE support, etc.

>> The current execution environment for the code is a xulrunner
>> instance, but given current direction a very likely course of action
>> is to try and get the fake-servers running under node.js and trying
>> to spin them off into a separate project/repo so that their use is
>> not restricted to just people hacking on the Thunderbird back-end or
>> the Gaia e-mail app back-end.  (I guess we might pursue re-licensing
>> them under Apache 2 if possible at that point too?  Joshua, how do
>> you feel about re-licensing? :)
>
> As I'm not the sole author of the code, so I don't know to what extent
> it is legal to relicense with just my permission. The other people who
> share significant contributions to this code (according to) are David
> Lechner, Ben Bucksh, Mark Banner, Atul Jangra, David Bienvenu, and
> Phil Lacy. I don't have any problems relicensing myself, but you might
> to check with them as well.

Definitely can't/wouldn't do it without their permissions.  If any of
the people on the list want to sign off on Apache 2 relicensing, feel
free to respond to this thread :)

Andrew