Thunderbird versioning/Naming.

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 Pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 04:06:12 UTC 2013

On 7/5/2013 10:00 AM, Josiah Bruner wrote:
> Could you give some examples of the potential issues? Thanks!

Thunderbird version 3.0 is built on Gecko 1.9.1 and JavaScript 1.8.1,
which powers Firefox 3.5 (except when it was 3.1) and Seamonkey 2.0
Firefox 4 (ex-3.7) uses Gecko 2.0 (ex-1.9.3) and JS 1.8.5 [no
corresponding TB release]
Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 is JS 1.6, Gecko 1.8.0, while Gecko 1.8 is JS
1.7 and Firefox/Thunderbird 2.0.

I, for one, like sanity in versioning. As a developer, it means I can
read "new in XXX 23" and know instantly where it applies, instead of
having to track down a convoluted correlation chart.

Keeping the same version internally solves edge cases for issues like
aurora/beta build versions, and I would in no way countenance a proposal
to give the UI a different version number from the internal guts. For
end users, the version numbers they care about are "up-to-date" and "not
up-to-date." Let's not make it more complicated.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer