Autoconfig specs

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Fri Jul 5 14:41:39 UTC 2013

It kind of already does, in that it will show
<http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/base/prefs/content/accountcreation/emailWizard.js#831>
one IMAP and one POP3 server, if you have both listed.
I don't believe there are any plans to support multiple servers of one
type, since that seems like an edge-case, and one that would in general
confuse users more than it would help them.  (Of all the autoconfigs we
have, no-one has asked for multiple servers of the same type yet.)

As a side note, automx looks like a pretty sweet tool!

Later,
Blake.

On 05-07-13 9:53 , Christian Rößner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing the code for automx (http://www.automx.org/), which does implement an autoconfig service (written in Python). Currently it supports multiple servers.
>
> As far as I know, Thunderbird doesn't support this, yet. I had included this support into automx, because the example snippets to the autoconfig specs did show a "Freemail" configuration that does list multiple protocols.
>
> Also:
>
> See: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration:ConfigFileFormat
> Section: Multiple servers
>
> Now my question:
>
> Will Thunderbird ever include multiple servers? If not, I would remove this support in automx, as it does make our code much more easier and cleaner.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Christian Rößner
>
> --
> [*] sys4 AG
>
> http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
> Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: München, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263
> Vorstand: Patrick Ben Koetter, Axel von der Ohe, Marc Schiffbauer
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Florian Kirstein

Blake Winton   UX Engineer
bwinton at mozilla.com