Thunderbird versioning/Naming.

Josiah Bruner josiah at programmer.net
Fri Jul 5 01:58:15 UTC 2013

Well, I thought about this for a while, in fact, I even started writing
several paragraphs on why we shouldn't do what you suggested. However,
as I thought about it some more, I must agree with your points. The
ideal solution would be to keep our version number based on Gecko, while
actually releasing a new product every 6 weeks. Of course, that simply
won't happen because of lack of resources and frankly, lack of product.
There would be no real point.

Jumps from 17 to 24 to 31, etc, are very confusing for our users and may
cause them to lose faith in its' development. Even looking at the
Thunderbird page causes people to wonder. (Though the version of
Thunderbird proceeding 24 should have some large changes, and I want to
redo the site then, which will help). Anyway, this kind of jumping is
just not beneficial in any way, so I agree that Thunderbird 20XY needs
to be the future.

Thunderbird 2014 makes the product seem more developed, professional,
and trust-worthy. Of course, anyone with counter points should most
definitely respond in objection. I, on the other hand, second the motion
for Thunderbird 2014. I assume though that people from within Mozilla
will really make the final ruling on this.

Josiah Bruner,
/Thunderbird Front-end,
Cocoa/Widget/