Thunderbird versioning/Naming.

Unicorn.Consulting unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 23:56:20 UTC 2013

If this has been discussed in the past, sorry for trying to bring it up
again.

With the first release of Thunderbird under it's new release model I
think that it is important to de-emphasise the version number as the
jump from 17 to 24 will leave many wondering what is going on.  To this
end I suggest that the version number become an internal/troubleshooting
item much as the geko version has done and that we release Thunderbird
with a year appended as has become almost dejure over the last decade.
Yes I know everyone else has started going back to numbers, but
Thunderbird is not in the Chrome race to 1000 and we need to make it
clear we are not.

Years ago when products started being released as year based versions I
thought that is was the silliest of ideas, but in this case where we
will be having an annual release it makes sense to name the product
intrinsically for the year of release. Given the lateness on the year I
suggest we release Thunderbird 2014 instead of Thunderbird 24.  This
approach sets the user expectation on release schedules correctly to an
annual or more cycle, makes it easy for even the slowest among them to
work out that their Thunderbird is 5 years old and in my opinion
differentiates the versioning from Firefox so people can stop asking
"Firefox is at Version 20 where is the Thunderbird update.

Matt

--
  "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin