Revisiting the War on RDF, especially folder lookup

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Wed Jan 23 12:56:33 UTC 2013

Kent James schrieb:
> 3) Mixed sync/async models. Since many folder operations are sync for
> local folders and async for IMAP

Ouch. Firefox has been burnt a lot in responsiveness by the assumption
that local I/O would be fast enough that all access could be sync. That
just isn't true. Firefox changed a ton of calls involving I/O to be
async, and those which aren't yet are considered bugs. Thunderbird (or
mailnews in general) should do that as well.
This at least explains some of the nasty responsiveness issues that
exist in Thunderbird and SeaMonkey MailNews.

Robert Kaiser