Strategy for supporting large message folders

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Jan 18 12:55:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-17 6:03 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> Existing mbox databases have the key equal to the offset, right? How do
> we change that? What happens when the offset gets > 4GB and someone is
> trying to access a particular message in the database using the 32 bit key?
>
> I'm not say it is impossible, I'm just saying it is a big,
> regression-prone job that I don't think is worth taking on right now
> (compared to getting maildir working correctly).

So, two last questions from me then...

1. If this is put off until after Maildir is working correctly, will it be:

a) just as hard to fix as before

or

b) harder to fix, due to maildir now being a new factor to consider?

As long as fixing maildir first doesn't actually make this much harder
to fix later, then absolutely just focus on maildir...

2. Will Maildir only be for POP accounts? I really can't see where/how
it could be used with IMAP accounts...

This is getting OT, so I won't pursue this question any further, but I
will be posting a new question about IMAP soon (since Thunderbirds IMAP
capabilities is about the only area where I still have lots of issues)...