Strategy for supporting large message folders

Unicorn.Consulting unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 22:50:51 UTC 2013

On 17/01/2013 9:27 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-01-16 5:16 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
>> I was looking today at trying to fix the relatively simple bug 793865
>> "nsIMsgParseMailMsgState.envelopePos must be 64bits to support large
>> mbox folders", figuring that was one needed step on a relatively small
>> path to support >4GB mbox files in local folders. But as I looked into
>> it, we have never resolved the issue of a 32 bit nsMsgKey, which also
>> equals the message offset in local folders. It is a far from trivial
>> issue to make progress on that.
>
> A few questions...
>
> 1. Is this a limitation of the OS (32bit vs 64bit) or the Thunderbird
> application? Meaning, does Thunderbird running on a 64bit Windows have
> this limitation?
Nothing to do with the operating system at all,  this is to do with the
fact that the pointer to the message offset is 32bit and there fore
limited to 4Gb.  The pointer could be changed to something other that a
32bit value and Thunderbird could go on, but the move would be
troublesome and fraught with regressions.

Matt