Strategy for supporting large message folders

David Bienvenu mozilla at davidbienvenu.org
Thu Jan 17 15:29:38 UTC 2013

On 1/16/2013 2:16 PM, Kent James wrote:
> I was looking today at trying to fix the relatively simple bug 793865 "nsIMsgParseMailMsgState.envelopePos must be 64bits to support large mbox folders", figuring that
> was one needed step on a relatively small path to support >4GB mbox files in local folders. But as I looked into it, we have never resolved the issue of a 32 bit
> nsMsgKey, which also equals the message offset in local folders. It is a far from trivial issue to make progress on that.
There's a msg hdr property called something like "message-offset" that's used instead of the msgKey as the offset into the local folder, by the berkeley mailbox store. The
msgKey is used for backwards compatibility if there is no message-offset. Are you saying the message-offset is never used, or sometimes not used?

- David