Strategy for supporting large message folders

Wayne Mery (d531) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Jan 17 14:33:01 UTC 2013

On 1/17/2013 5:57 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-01-16 5:16 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
>> I was looking today at trying to fix the relatively simple bug 793865
>> "nsIMsgParseMailMsgState.envelopePos must be 64bits to support large
>> mbox folders", figuring that was one needed step on a relatively small
>> path to support >4GB mbox files in local folders. But as I looked into
>> it, we have never resolved the issue of a 32 bit nsMsgKey, which also
>> equals the message offset in local folders. It is a far from trivial
>> issue to make progress on that.
>
> A few questions...
>
> 1. Is this a limitation of the OS (32bit vs 64bit) or the Thunderbird
> application? Meaning, does Thunderbird running on a 64bit Windows have
> this limitation?
>
> If so, would it be possible to fix this on 64bit platforms without the
> problems specified above?
>
> 2. Does this problem exist for Thunderbird natively compiled for and
> running on a 64bit version of linux?
>
> Thanks...

To repeat past information - the issue is NOT tightly coupled to whether
an OS is 64bit or not, nor whether Thunderbird is running 64bit or
32bit.  The limitation is a function of the underlying file system. Plus
the extent to which Thunderbird accomodates the limits of the file system.

** Please refer to
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29#Folders_and_messages
(which, given the findings of the last few months, probably needs an update)