Strategy for supporting large message folders

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Jan 17 10:57:50 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-16 5:16 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> I was looking today at trying to fix the relatively simple bug 793865
> "nsIMsgParseMailMsgState.envelopePos must be 64bits to support large
> mbox folders", figuring that was one needed step on a relatively small
> path to support >4GB mbox files in local folders. But as I looked into
> it, we have never resolved the issue of a 32 bit nsMsgKey, which also
> equals the message offset in local folders. It is a far from trivial
> issue to make progress on that.

A few questions...

1. Is this a limitation of the OS (32bit vs 64bit) or the Thunderbird
application? Meaning, does Thunderbird running on a 64bit Windows have
this limitation?

If so, would it be possible to fix this on 64bit platforms without the
problems specified above?

2. Does this problem exist for Thunderbird natively compiled for and
running on a 64bit version of linux?

Thanks...