Autoconfig for aol.com and friends

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Wed Jan 16 15:09:17 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 08:57 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> That said, I strongly advise to implement STARTTLS in Gaia, because
> some setups provide only STARTTLS, and most ISPs only support
> plaintext passwords, so dropping to unencrypted would be most
> unfortunate.

The good news is we don't drop back to SSL.  We ignore the results we
found if both the incoming and outgoing servers are not IMAP:
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia-email-libs-and-more/blob/master/data/lib/mailapi/accountcommon.js#L851

The bad news is we won't run down the list either.  If the first imap
and the first smtp entries aren't SSL, we will not go looking for
subsequent entries that are.  This was a result of time pressures and
blocker prioritization.  It did look like engineers from a partner might
step in, but that ended up not happening.

Andrew