Autoconfig for aol.com and friends

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Wed Jan 16 15:00:12 UTC 2013

On 01/15/2013 10:55 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> To my knowledge, Gaia runs in a content-privileged JS environment,
> which means it can't use nsISocketTransport (or any other XPCOM
> utilities).

Yes, XPCOM is out of reach, but we create exciting new APIs to expose
the things we need.  This is mozTCPSocket:
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/network/src/TCPSocket.js

mozTCPSocket can also do the electrolysis thing, however, so
unfortunately things are somewhat more complicated than just changing
that JS.  Specifiically:
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/network/src/TCPSocketChild.cpp
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/network/src/TCPSocketParent.cpp
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/network/src/TCPSocketParentIntermediary.js

Originally, I think my Jetpack prototypes has startSSL support in their
fork, but the person working the bug did not propagate that over and
asked to have that be a follow-up so we could land sooner. They never
got around to the follow-up and then it wasn't getting marked as a
blocker so it couldn't be worked by anyone.  Once things went
out-of-process and we got the extra gunk, the effort required also went
up a bit more.

Andrew