Autoconfig for aol.com and friends

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Tue Jan 15 08:08:35 UTC 2013

On 14/01/2013 23:21, Jim wrote:
> In bug 827549[1], a tester noticed that AOL's SMTP server supports SSL
> (over port 465). This is important for the Gaia email app, since we
> don't support STARTTLS yet. Should we add a listing in the autoconfig
> files at mozillamessaging.com to reflect AOL's support of
> SSL-over-SMTP? It doesn't appear to be documented anywhere, but since
> it's reported to work, could we offer it?
I believe we generally shouldn't add unsupported set-ups without
confirming with the particular provider - they might take the option
away without notice.

That said, I did see this page which implies the option is available
(just not recommended by default :-( ):
http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=73332
but even then, I think it would be worth a clarification anyway.

Mark.