kicking the maildir usability can up the street

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Jan 7 17:59:31 UTC 2013

Concerning the issue of a meta bug for unresolved maildir issues: I've
considered doing that myself, but it seemed like a search for "maildir"
in the bug summary would accomplish the same thing. But if there is some
naming issue with "maildir" then perhaps a meta bug would be a good idea.

As I've looked at my own efforts in the pre-24 cycle, I've considered
several areas that would be appropriate to work in (other than solving
bugs or regressions):

1) Additional filter contexts (on send, on archive, on schedule, on
startup). Most of these though could be done more easily in an
extension, so I might just add this initially to FiltaQuilla.

2) Resolving remaining issues with maildir.

3) Finishing the application of async database opening.

4) Fixing remaining issues with large mbox files.

For my own needs, a major project I have considered is to fix the
summary database backend non-XPCOM references that prevent using an
alternate database implementation (perhaps simplifying the db calls to
separate calls that are specific to the needs of the MORK database).

But the time that I have to give to this is only about 6 hours per week.
Lately I have not even been able to keep up with basic communications
and review requests for core code, so whether I will get to all of these
items remains to be seen.

Still, it does not seem that any of the remaining maildir issues are
that difficult to address. Looking at your list of bugs, although 25
appear on that list, there are really only two confirmed bugs that
directly affect users (bug 765926 and 816304).

:rkent