Google summer of code

Florian Quèze florian at queze.net
Thu Feb 14 09:41:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann <ludovic at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 2/14/13 4:37 AM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>>
>> Most of these are probably not good ideas for GSOC projects, but I am
>> a rather poor judge of how long it takes to implement a feature,
>> particularly for those unacquainted with the codebase. I could be a
>> plausible mentor for several of them, but I'm not sure if I'll have
>> enough spare time this summer to be a mentor.
>>
> Also I'd be interested in knowing how consuming it is to be a mentor ,

For the "official" answer see
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#12._How_much_time_is_required_to

For my personal experience: I've mentored 2 students for Instantbird,
and I've never actually spent 5 hours per week on it. I tried to have
our students mentored by the Instantbird community rather than only by
myself, so my most important task has been to help the student get
started: introduce the student to the community, to the tools we use
and ensure he's comfortable asking questions to the right people on
IRC or bugzilla.

If that 'works' then the remaining important mentoring tasks are just
to be available in case the student hits some roadblocks, to help him
resolve the problem as quickly as possible; and of course to review
his code (which isn't specific to Summer of Code and would need to
happen for any contributor). It's of course nicer if the mentor can be
the reviewer for the student's code, but it may not be strictly
required.

There's a manual at http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/

> And who's interested in being a mentor.

Are you? :-)