Google summer of code

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Feb 14 10:03:37 UTC 2013

On 14/02/13 08:51, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> Also I'd be interested in knowing how consuming it is to be a mentor ,
> are there best practice out there ? And who's interested in being a mentor.

It very much depends on the mentor and the student. One way to avoid it
being too time-consuming is to not take anyone in preference to taking a
poor student ;-) I would suggest it should take you 2-3 hours a week
minimum; you should have a weekly status meeting of some sort, or
perhaps more often, and you will need to answer questions, provide
guidance and do code reviews.

Do not take on a Summer of Code student because you think it would take
less of your time than doing the job yourself. :-) Take them on if you
want to mentor and encourage a new contributor which will pay dividends
in the future.

Gerv