Google summer of code

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 03:37:36 UTC 2013

On 2/13/2013 2:58 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> Shall we talk about this next week ?
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Community:SummerOfCode13:Brainstorming#Thunderbird

As I can't be on the call anyways, I'll kick off with some off-the-head
things that fall in the category of "I would prototype if I had time":

* Implement <insert backend here> for mconley's addressbook. System
address books, LDAP, etc. I think Ensemble should be stable enough for
this to be viable
* Implement necessary components for EAI. However, brief investigation
suggests we don't have server support to test on at present
* Add another email importer
* De-RDF or other cleanup. Probably way too boring :-P
* Make an mbox-to-maildir converter
* Implement good UI for PGP or S/MIME security or something. Probably
impossible
* Implement a fuzz tester for MIME or any of our protocols
* Rewrite our database code to be fully asynchronous (Probably way too
difficult for a GSOC project)
* Make our database usable from multiple threads (Again, probably way
too difficult, and kind of implies the former)
* Implement a new account type. Webforums have always been a pet peeve
of mine, and there was an aborted attempt using OpenChange a few years ago
* Compose-in-a-tab
* Improve or replace the current HTML editor we have
* Temporary RSS feeds (i.e., subscribe to comments feeds on posts for a
few days)
* Implement a TNEF decoder (I don't think I'll have my jsmime close
enough to completion by GSOC time, though)
* Outlook-style thread pane (this requires editing layout code to do
multiline tree views)

Most of these are probably not good ideas for GSOC projects, but I am a
rather poor judge of how long it takes to implement a feature,
particularly for those unacquainted with the codebase. I could be a
plausible mentor for several of them, but I'm not sure if I'll have
enough spare time this summer to be a mentor.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner