Donation Link: Lets gather information

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed Dec 11 11:43:28 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-10 7:00 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> This is probably enough income to sustain the product in it current
> form, but not enough to make significant forward progress. I don't want
> to minimize the value of sustaining the product in its current form, for
> the majority of our users that is probably sufficient. But I also know
> that I have higher hopes. That's why I have been encouraging us to
> consider a more aggressive approach to in-product fund raising.

I like that this is being addressed, as I have been having serious fears
that Thunderbird might eventually die a slow death, and this would be a
truly bad/sad thing...

What I would like to see is this (future development) broken down into 3
categories (in order of priority):

1) Sustaining current product (security updates, etc)

2) Defining core functionality that is broken and/or in need of
    fixing - ie, HTML composer, much improved IMAP support, Calendar
    integration/improvements (fix broken Google Calendar Event
    handling), etc, then prioritizing everything

3) Defining desirable *new* features (Address Book replacement, etc)

Specifically, 'New' features should take a serious back seat to fixing
broken/lacking core functionality...