Donation Link: Lets gather information

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Dec 11 00:00:28 UTC 2013

Thanks, David for the contacts.

Looking at https://fundraising.mozilla.org/ a "Snippet" is very close to
proposals that have been put forth here for a link on the start page for
Thunderbird. We can use their data to get a rough estimate of what to
expect for a similar campaign in Thunderbird. (If you are not
comfortable with rough estimates, please ignore the rest of this message).

Thunderbird usage is about 1/20 of Firefox (comparing ADI from
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/daily?p=Thunderbird to
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/daily?p=Firefox). The Firefox campaign
is about 1/3 through a one month campaign, and has raised $327,000 from
snippets. At that rate, a similar campaign from Thunderbird would give
about (3x$327,000)/20 = $50,000. This is probably a factor of 2
estimate, so consider the best current estimate is $25,000 - $100,000
per year with that approach. We would be getting donations averaging
about $10 each from about 0.1% of users.

My sense of the need is that $50,000 is an adequate amount if
Thunderbird continues with volunteer developers, but is not enough to
make an impact if the hope is to hire some developers. We would need
closer to $500,000 per year to be able to make progress with some paid
development, which means we need to get donations from 1% of our users
instead of 0.1%

It also sounds like the Mozilla Foundation has plans next year to be
more active in assisting community-based projects with fund raising
efforts, and at that point we could know more what to expect from them.
But we can assume for now that this will be a straightforward path.

I hope that you can picture what this future looks like. This is
probably enough income to sustain the product in it current form, but
not enough to make significant forward progress. I don't want to
minimize the value of sustaining the product in its current form, for
the majority of our users that is probably sufficient. But I also know
that I have higher hopes. That's why I have been encouraging us to
consider a more aggressive approach to in-product fund raising.

:rkent