Donation Link: Formal Proposal

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Dec 4 21:54:42 UTC 2013

On 12/3/2013 3:23 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>> What I would love to see is Thunderbird's IMAP support*vastly*
>> >improved, with a simple mechanism in place for being able to keep local,
>> >highly compressed copies of all messages for each account for backup
>> >purposes, so that in the event of a catastrophe on the server side, you
>> >could use these backups to restore the entire IMAP store.
>> >
>> >So, Thunderbird becomes a Desktop app for accessing your cloud based email.
> This is something I would be happy to help with, as an IMAP protocol geek and
> server programmer, I have a pretty good idea of what's going on in IMAP!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bron.
>

> -- Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Bron, could you clarify your affiliation, and what your relationship to
Thunderbird is? Your public information says that you are with Fastmail,
who in turn is owned by Opera, which is a direct competitor of Mozilla
with both browser and email products.

Please be assured that we welcome any participation by you here, but
there are potential conflicts of interest. Typically those are handled
by full disclosure. (I hope it is clear that I also have conflicts of
interest, as my proprietary addon ExQuilla earns income off of Thunderbird).

I am sure that we would welcome your expertise either on IMAP, or as a
representative of Fastmail and Opera to allow us to work together for an
open internet.

:rkent