Donation Link: Formal Proposal

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Dec 4 21:45:38 UTC 2013

On 12/2/2013 8:05 PM, JoeS wrote:
> We need to reconnect with the user base.
> The problem is a lack of confidence in the future of TB, by that base.
>
> I know we can't fix every whim of the community, but we should show
> the effort.
>
> Get that confidence back (with bug fixes, not necessarily feature),
> and we will get all the donations that we need.
It would be great if concurrent with Thunderbird 31, if we have some
viable plan to move forward, that we have a simultaneous public
relations campaign to counter the impression that was left from the very
badly handled initial announcement of the reduction of Mozilla support
for Thunderbird.

As for "bug fixes" let's use the word "quality" here instead. The
tradeoff between features and quality is a tough one. When I look at
vote counts on bugzilla, I usually find that features-related bugs get
more interest than quality-related bugs. I also know that in my own use
of Thunderbird, there are certain missing features that I find
frustrating, but quality problems are not a significant issue. But my
personal anecdotes do not justify any specific project priority. Within
the proposal, the smaller "Finance and Operations" group has the
responsibility to decide overall project priorities, and to direct
resources to those issues. So the time for advocate for increased
emphasis on quality would be when that group is formed, and has some
resources available to allocate.

:rkent