Donation Link: Formal Proposal

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Dec 4 21:25:56 UTC 2013

On 12/3/2013 9:26 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-12-03 11:35 AM, John Crisp <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> This comment confuses me.
>
>> Not sure why. It was pretty clear IMHO
>
> Yes, the comment is clear... the logic - solicit donations from
> NON-commercial end-users to avoid 'subsidizing free software for
> businesses' - is... well, it simply isn't (logical).

The quote about "subsidizing free software for businesses" is not really
my quote, it was originally Mitchell, I only mentioned it to make the
point that Mozilla itself is not really all about free-as-in-beer products.

You are correct that the main intent of the donation link proposal is to
solicit donations from individuals, not from businesses. So I will add
my own statement here that subsidizing free software for individuals is
not the primary mission of Mozilla, nor something that motivates me to
be involved. Individuals who use FOSS software have the same obligations
as businesses to give back. To me, "free-as-in-beer" is frequently the
enemy of "free-as-in-freedom". That is, it would be great if all
software had freedom-style licenses without the burden of
free-as-in-beer consequences, but that is very hard to do. Nevertheless,
battling the misunderstanding that "Free and Open Source" means "without
cost" is a noble undertaking in the cause of freedom, one that I take up
proudly without any fear that I am taking the low road. I'll accept
though, from the Mozilla Manifesto, "Magnifying the public benefit
aspects of the Internet is an important goal, worthy of time, attention
and commitment."

 From you comments, I expect you partially agree with me, and partially
disagree. That's fine, I'm not asking you to accept my whole world view
here, just trying to clarify my viewpoint. We don't have to resolve
whether "free-as-in-beer" is good or bad in order to agree on an
approach forward for Thunderbird.

:rkent