Donation Link: Formal Proposal

John John at klam.ca
Tue Dec 3 20:45:28 UTC 2013

> And this is precisely why I love and *only* use IMAP for accessing my
> email.
Whole heartily agree, I believe that POP only survives because many ISPs
do not want to provide the storage for an IMAP based system. My own
servers are IMAPS exclusively.

> What I would love to see is Thunderbird's IMAP support *vastly*
> improved, with a simple mechanism in place for being able to keep
> local, highly compressed copies of all messages for each account for
> backup purposes, so that in the event of a catastrophe on the server
> side, you could use these backups to restore the entire IMAP store.
>
> So, Thunderbird becomes a Desktop app for accessing your cloud based
> email.

Yes and no, only if I can provide my own secure cloud. That may be the
other thing that Mozilla has to do is provide a secure
IMAP(S)/calendar/address server system that can be run on minimal
equipment. Because there is no way that I am putting my data on somebody
elses cloud.

JohnA