Donation Link: Formal Proposal

John John at klam.ca
Tue Dec 3 18:47:34 UTC 2013

> On 2013-12-03 12:40 PM, John <John at klam.ca> wrote:
>> I agree that Mozilla does not care about Thunderbird. In an increasingly
>> cloud based world, I think they feel that, there is no place for desktop
>> software, any desktop software.
>
> So... what, exactly, is 'Firefox'? Chopped liver?
For Firefox the desktop application, YES.
Not immediately but in the long run yes. It will be replaced by Firefox
OS and whatever cloud based infrastructure Mozilla embraces or provides.

> ;)
>
> I'm just saying... the desktop isn't going anywhere for a long time...

In the consumer market, and that the market that counts, the desktop is
being replaced by the smart phone/tablet. After all who wants to lug a
PC or even a laptop around, when at home why use another device.  My
understanding is that there are already more smart phones out there than
there are PCs, furthermore the sales of smartphones is increasing while
the sales of PCs is declining sharply. I give the desktop less than five
years in this market.

In the corporate market the desktop PC is already being replaced by the
"smart" terminal. Here the case even stronger, ease of maintenance (fix
at the server and its fixed for everyone) and that includes things like
OS updates/upgrades, security - no data on the desktop, less chance of
data theft (the terminals I have seen have no ports), lower cost(I have
seen smart terminals priced at around $190). Here the speed of change is
limited by things like write off periods, upgrades to corporate
infrastructure, redevelopment/replacement of corporate systems by cloud
capable ones.

There is another trend that is just being recognized and that is the use
of AI type systems to perform corporate tasks. Some of these do away
with the need for the for the desk and the person behind it. Think
Google smart car running your Bank.